Ohio and Eric Canal Lock No. 14 at Goshen was one of the most photographed of all the canal locks because its location was so picturesqe. Enterprising photographers during the canal era often took pictures of canal boats passing through the lock, often called Newcastle Lock. It still exists and is located along Rt. 416, just south of the former Carlisle Canoe Center.
The canal ran south from Cleveland to Portsmouth and was completed through Tuscarawas County, in 1830. Until then, the county was isolated and secluded, having little contact with the rest of the world. Called the “Silver Ribbon”, the canal was completed and opened for navigation through its entire length on December 1, 1832 and covered more than 308 miles. There were 15 canal locks (Numbers 7 through 21) located within Tuscarawas County.
The canal ran through the communities of Goshen and Beidler near the Tuscarawas River and there was a bridge crossing the canal at Goshen. A lot of coal mined in the Goshen area was shipped on canal boats. Wheat and other crops also were shipped north to Cleveland and on to New York City or south to Portsmouth and on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to New Orleans.
The Ohio and Erie Canal began to decline in profitability in the late 1800’s and the severe flood in 1913 destroyed most of the canal and others in the state.