Thurl and Elsie Starcher moved to Goshen in 1947 after Thurl, a gunsmith, went to work for Sam Bond Gun Shop, near New Philadelphia. Their house was formerly the canal lockkeeper’s house, but had been moved from its original location. The couple had two children, Lyndell and Marilyn. Marilyn and her husband, Jim Page, have lived in the home along 416 since their marriage in 1972. The home was destroyed by fire and a new home was constructed on the site. The Pages have three sons, Shane, Matt and Tim, all of Tuscarawas. The home gets a lot of attention during the Christmas holiday as it has one of the largest light displays in the county. It features thousands of lights and handmade cartoon characters. Marilyn noted that their current driveway was a part of the old road (later Rt. 16 and 416) that went through Goshen.
Elsie served as treasurer for the Little League team in Goshen and was also in charge of storing, mending and issuing uniforms. One year, there were no uniform pants that would fit a husky Goshen Little Leaguer. Elsie sewed two pairs of pants together in order to complete a uniform for the player.