Wilson Family

John R. “Huck” and Ellen Wilson opened Wilson’s Service at Goshen, in 1946. They not only pumped gasoline but sold groceries and snack items. Ellen took care of the store while Huck worked at the Goshen Sewer Pipe. In 1970, St. Rt. 416 was re-routed and the house was moved down the road and a new store built. There are apartments and Fox’s Horse Farm in that location currently. Huck died in 1972 but Ellen kept the house and store. In 1976, she decided to sell the property. The couple were known for rewarding the local kids who received three A’s on their report cards. The kids would get a candy bar for their efforts. Huck’s sister was Mary Wilson Kennedy who also lived in Goshen on what is now David Rd. She was married to John Kennedy. The house is no longer standing. Huck was also one of Goshen’s honary mayors.

Before Little League was organized in Goshen, Huck coached a team in Goshen called the “Goshen Mighty Mites.” Some of the players on the team include Junior and Frank Davis, Ronnie Harmon, Bill Anderson and Eddie Krocker. Krocker remembered that time very well. “Huck formed and coached the team, provided the ballfield, drove us to games in his pickup truck and bought us all pop after the game,” Krocker noted. ” Mostly we played teams in Wainwright and on the Southside. The farthest we ever went was to Stillwater.”


Comments

Wilson Family — 2 Comments

  1. Before Little League was organized in Goshen, Huck coached a team in Goshen called the “Goshen Mighty Mites.” Some of the players on the team include Junior and Frank Davis, Ronnie Harmon, Bill Anderson and Eddie Krocker. Krocker remembered that time very well. “Huck formed and coached the team, provided the ballfield, drove us to games in his pickup truck and bought us all pop after the game,” Krocker noted. ” Mostly we played teams in Wainwright and on the Southside. The farthest we ever went was to Stillwater.”

  2. John R. “Huck” and Ellen Wilson opened Wilson’s Service at Goshen, in 1946. They not only pumped gasoline but sold groceries and snack items. Ellen took care of the store while Huck worked at the Goshen Sewer Pipe. In 1970, St. Rt. 416 was re-routed and the house was moved down the road and a new store built. There are apartments and Fox’s Horse Farm in that location currently. Huck died in 1972 but Ellen kept the house and store. In 1976, she decided to sell the property. The couple were known for rewarding the local kids who received three A’s on their report cards. The kids would get a candy bar for their efforts. Huck’s sister was Mary Wilson Kennedy who also lived in Goshen on what is now David Rd. She was married to John Kennedy. The house is no longer standing. Huck was also one of Goshen’s honary mayors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *