Owner of the popular Gervasi Winery at Canton is Ted Swaldo, a former resident of Goshen. He is a son of the late Gene and Mary Gervasi Swaldo and has several brothers and sisters and many cousins living in this area.
Some of the starts for grapes at the winery were obtained at the Berlendis farm at Wainwright. The vineyard there was started over 100 years ago. Ted was accompanied there by his brother, Dean Swaldo, and other relatives.
3rd row, l to r, Stogie Rausch, janitor, Donald Freeman, teacher, Lou Ann Briggs, Marge Oppy, Shirley Murphy, Augusta Endsley, Bonnie Wallace, Shirley Maurer, Connie Gibson and Joan Garrett.
4th row, l to r, Eugene Wolfe, Jack Davis, Frank Swaldo, Frank Davis, Calvin Brown, Earl Walton and Bob Schaar.
Front row, kneeling, l to r – William Wallace, Tom Krocker, Jim Hobart, Jackie Wolfe, Jack Hobart, Don Hanlon and Harold Lute.
Second row, l to r – Dorothy Endsley, ??? Gribble, Bernice Edwards, Bob Cookson, Phyllis Reynolds, Nancy Hobart, Linda Carlisle, Thelma Lute, Jimmy Maurer.
Third row, l to r – Dorothy Garrett (substitute teacher), Larry Gibbs, Jasper Reynolds, Sandy Kohler, Kathy Oppy, Charlene Swaldo, Cindy Kohler, Bonnie Hobart, Sally Edwards.
Fourth row, l to r – Peggy Torgler, Dick Leggett, Nancy Wallace, Dave Walton, Russ Hobart, Shelby Meldrum, Dave Hanlon.
Regular teacher was Mrs. Moreland.
The Universal Sewer Pipe Corporation Plant #2 began its operations about 1920 and was located at the present site of the Skeeter Hollow Farm (owned by Mike and Dawn Smitley), which was formerly Cookson Industrial Site. The plant, which had 14 kilns, specialized in making vitrified clay pipe, flue lining and stove pipe in various sizes that were used by building supply dealers. Employees of the plant belonged to the 501 United Brick and Clay Workers Union. During World War II, while the men were serving in the military, 14 women worked in the sewer pipe plant including Roberta Warner, Fanny Swaldo, Emma Gervasi, Lena Richardson, Mary Kennedy, Betty Krocker, Alice Cooper and Ruth Trimmer.
Floyd “Zeke” Davis was a recording secretary for the Local 501 in 1953 and recalls earning 68 cents an hour. ($5.44 a day) when he began working in the early 1940’s. Others who held office at the this time include President Adrian Rausch, Vice President Bernard Conklin and Treasurer Walter Hammon. The last union meeting was held in December of 1960. There were 73 members at the time of the plant’s closing. Francis “Foxy” Walton was the oldest man in terms of service for Plant #2 at that time. Davis still has some of the minutes recorded during the union meetings and read a portion of them at one of the Goshen Reunions. Read more on Page 8 of Recollections of a Community Part 1.